Summer is such a beautiful time of the year. The long summer holiday is coming up and I am looking forward to enjoying it as a family. There is so much to do when the weather is good. Some of my favourite things to do in summer are the following:
- BBQ – this is my most favourite way to eat when the weather is warm and the days are long. There is nothing nicer than a juicy kebab or steak done this way with salad.
- The beach – walks along the sand and time watching the younger kids swimming and playing in the water always relaxes me.
- The smell of newly mowed lawn is great – although I don’t enjoy the mowing bit. I do love how the garden looks so neat and lovely after it’s been mowed.
- I enjoy having walks in the early evening when it is cooler.
- I enjoy watching the kids play in the park.
- I love sitting on our veranda watching the sunset while the BBQ sizzles. Of course a glass of red or white makes it even better!!
- I love the simplistic eating of summer – lots of salads and quick meals that are easy to prepare.
- I love(d) ice creams on a hot day – this sadly will be less than more for me now ( however I have discovered that fat free, sugar free yoghurt frozen makes a great dessert.
- I love the sound of cicadas and crickets in summer time.
- I love how families have time for each other over these holidays and fun and laughter can be heard wherever you go.
- Something I will really miss this summer is the beach barbeques at Bucklands beach with our dear friends the Menezes. Those were great times and so much fun!!
This Christmas will be the first for us in our new home and country. We so enjoyed how laid back last Christmas was for us as a family and so we think we will repeat that again this year. Last year we went to Tawharanui marine reserve and had a picnic lunch with friends. This year we plan to explore a beach in Victoria and have a great day of relaxing and enjoying the beach and a picnic lunch. Since Zoe is my chef in the family, she will have to help me with planning the menu.