As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am attempting to make a chocolate Mud Cake for Michaela’s birthday (yes I have used her real name as I am tired of calling my kids numbers as though they are convicts or secret agents) and so this is the process we have gone through.
- 200g Dark chocolate
- 250g butter
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 1 and 1/3 cup water
- Slowly melt all these ingredients in a saucepan over a low heat till sugar and chocolate have melted. Remove from stove and leave to cool for about 10 minutes.
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 3/4 cup self raising flour
- Put in a mixing bowl and slowly add chocolate mixture to flour mix. The result is
- fairly runny.
- 3 eggs – Add to mixture and beat carefully.
- Put mixture into a large round tin or two smaller tins (I used 2 tins) that has been g greased and has baking paper to line tin. Do not use a springform tin as the mixture is too runny.
- Bake in oven at 150 degrees for about 1 and 1/2 hours. Please check your cake r regularly as mine only took just over 1 hour as I have a gas stove, but the recipe I used says that it can take anything from 1 and 1/2 hrs to 2 hours depending
- on your oven.
- 15og dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup cream
- Melt in microwave and beat
- Cover cake in glossy chocolate icing.
We had a surprise girls pamper night for Michaela to celebrate her 16th. Some of the ladies in church wanted this to be a special day for her and organised it. We got to eat delicious nibbles followed by chicken enchiladas that my good friend Kari made and then of course the mud cake for dessert. Then we watched a movie and spoiled ourselves. All in all I think she was surprised and had a good time.
The only thing missing from her perfect evening were her 3 good friends fom New Zealand – Felicity, Hayley and Samantha – I know she missed them.