Well I went shopping today, determined to choose healthier alternatives than normal, but very nervous about how much I would leave the store with. It’s true, I am afraid – healthier is more expensive – boo hoo!!! Nevertheless, I avoided the biscuit, chip and other junk aisles.
My first tip for looking fab is this:
- Shopping Tip 1 – When shopping, shop the perimeter of the store as much as possible. Most of the healthier alternatives in the store are around the edges, like meat, fruit and vegetables, dairy products and grains.
The other aisles contain all your snack foods, tinned and processed sauces, confectionary and other foods. Today I stayed mainly around the perimeter of the store which meant that I actually came out with very little because shopping for fruit and veggies is definitely cheaper at the fruit shop and meat is cheaper at the butcher.
- Healthy Food Tip 1 – I found some great dairy deals – I saw cottage cheese which is very high in protein and low in fat selling for 99c as it was close to sell by date. Look for items that are reduced for a quick sale or are on clearance as these type of items will probably be used quickly anyway (if you have a large family like ours!!)
Here is a delicious snack/dessert recipe for cottage cheese.
* mix together 2 to 1 ratio of cottage cheese to vanilla yogurt (that makes this higher in protein than in carbs)
* vanilla extract to taste
* cinnamon to taste (don’t be shy with cinnamon…it’s one of the most powerful antioxidants you can get…even more than most berries)
* handful of raw nuts (pecans, almonds, or walnuts are my favorites…but just about all nuts are packed with nutrition and healthy fats to keep your cravings at bay)
Mix it all together and enjoy!!